Ambiguous spaces contain a designed frame which accommodates the evolution of a spontaneous growth / event because The form of the frame is not as tightly related to its function. It lacks a distinct identity so that Each individual can give it a subject, lend meaning to it by their own projections, and therefore attain more than one single use alone.
The mappings of the Ottawa-Gatineau region are the reality and objective cues in the resource of information. By compiling the collection of data at a macro scale it allows us to generate connections between the existing resources in the metropolis. Throughout the mapping process we explore the intangible, beyond the representation of raw data. The mapping of the subjective and interpretation allows us to welcome trends and new city conditions that connect people to each other with multitudes of evolution. Engaging with the reality will inform us with the subjective leads in the changing Ottawa-Gatineau metropolis.
- An instrument to view the flux of the city
- The object of today has qualities which contains the potential for the object of the future
- The instrument is able to define a specific places conditions, it allows one to accept the unknown
To match open work/space environments (RESOURCES) with the appropriate people (RESOURCES).
Newcomers are a reality and present urgent unavoidable needs as well as resources.
If both sets of these needs are unmet, there is decline for both (in the mechanism of the city and in the happiness of its citizens). If resources and needs can be matched, there is maintenance of the city’s mechanism and a higher quality of life for its people.
By creating a tool to match needs with resources.
Naive examples of tools:
- a searchable database of ambiguous spaces that have their history of use documented: “we used this space for this”
- a platform that allows people to find places to work and allows open places to find people
- turn 12 hour workspaces into around-the-clock workspaces
- user-submitted translations using augmented reality or information-laden symbols
Each reaction has a catalyst that is followed through. It diffuses from the neighbourhood scale and connects unexpectedly to another region. The diffusion begins again.
Finally, the reactions caused by one action can be seen to affect Ottawa and Gatineau as a whole.